Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Peace if possible, truth at all costs"

The quote in the title is from Martin Luther, most commonly known as the Father of the Protestant Reformation. I am no scholar on Luther, but I do know he has been controversial at times and he was generally an angry guy; however he adored his wife and wrote her love letters when he was away AND he loved Jesus and Truth. As Mark Driscoll would say "let's give him a hall pass". If Luther says "peace if POSSIBLE, TRUTH at all costs", we should incline our ears and minds to hear and think on those words.

The verse that comes to mind in relation to this quote is Romans 12:18 where Paul says "as much as it is possible, be at peace with everyone."

"As much as it is POSSIBLE".

This verse is packed with a big truth. It implies that we very well may not be at peace with everyone. Wow. That is freeing. I have spent countless hours trying to be at peace with someone for the sake of a relationship when it is possible that I many not be able to be at peace with that person. What we learn from Luther and from examples throughout Scripture is that Truth is more important than peace. Jesus' death was not peaceful. It was controversial among the people of that time. It is controversial now. Jesus' words he spoke during his ministry did not always settle well in the hearts and minds of the people who received them. Truth cost him his life.

Paul, a spiritual giant and one of the most beloved and cherished characters in the history of the church knew Truth was the most important thing. He preached and taught Truth and he was imprisoned and beaten for it. Truth also cost Paul his life.

In the present world, truth to many, seems obscure and unattainable. The "great thinkers" of our age ask that we seek and search for truth, yet when someone claims to have found it, the high minds say "that's impossible". Why then, would you continue to seek something that you know you will never find? I have good news! Truth can be found! It is found in the man Jesus, who said "I am the way, the TRUTH and the life". Jesus not only spoke truth, he WAS Truth. Truth in the flesh. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you believe in Jesus and you believe that he is who he says he is, then your worldview must be based on what Jesus taught. He is Truth.

Now...where am I going with this? you may ask..well, I do have a point amidst the rabbit trails. We should be willing to sacrifice peace for the Truth of the gospel. We have the ability to know Truth. We are equipped to speak Truth and most certainly we should be living in Truth. Sometimes the truth is offensive. The Word of God isn't called a Sword for nothin'. And I'll quote Driscoll again: "what good is a Sword if it doesn't cut?"

I am deeply relational. I love spending time with women and getting to know them. I love to hear about their lives, their joys, their struggles. I know for a fact I have sacrificed the truth for peace at times...instead of sacrificing peace for truth. My point in this entire post is that Truth can be known through Jesus. Peace can be known through Jesus. But, at the end of the day "peace if possible, truth at all costs".

1 comment:

  1. Jesus is the Stuff. Thanks friend. SO NEEDED TO HEAR THIS!

    ReplyDelete